Myth and Wonder - The Visionary Art of Helena Domenic

Water
World Tarot Day
Year Ahead Spread
powered by

My Blog

Titania, Queen of the Faeries

I am very pleased to share that I will be participating in Meinhart Gallery’s “Midsummer Night’s Dream” exhibition with my painting Titania. Meinhart Gallery is located at 6 East Holly Avenue in Pitman, Jersey, and the exhibition will run Tuesday, August 5 through September 30, 2014. There will be a Fourth Friday reception on August 29 from 6:00 PM to 9:00 PM.

When I first learned of the exhibition, I was unsure of what I could submit for the show. I had previously done a painting of Titania with Bottom, for those who recall the characters from Shakespeare’s play. I felt that the work was actually too sweet for the kinds of things I usually enjoy painting, and did not want to submit it. I had begun work of another faerie personage recently, and after considering it for awhile, decided she would be a perfect Titania.

Titania is a character in Shakespeare’s play A Midsummer Night’s Dream, and in that play, she is the Queen of the Fairies.  Because of the popularity of Shakespeare’s play, Titania has popped up as the Queen of the Fairies in other works of fiction as well. Edmund Spencer’s poem, The Faerie Queen, places Glorianna, Queen of the Fairies as the descendent of Titania. In more modern literature, Titania appears as a character in Neil Gaiman’s Sandman series.  In 1999, Titania was played by Michelle Pfeiffer on film.

I wanted my own Titania to reflect my personal thoughts and beliefs about the Fae and to reflect perhaps a more multicultural look than Shakespeare originally intended. She wears beads and feathers of Red, Yellow, Black, and White, which are the colors of the Four Sacred Directions in Native American and African Congo belief.  Her crown bears both ram’s horns and deer’s horns. The ram is representative of the God Amun of the Egyptians, and the deer horns are representative of Celtic Gods of the Hunt, such as Herne and Cernunnos. The flowers and the feathers together give me the sense of wildness that I would expect to see in a character such as Titania.

I am thrilled of course that my Titania will be joining the other offerings at Meinhart Gallery and I can't wait to see who else is going to show up! I hope to see some of you there!

10 Comments to Titania, Queen of the Faeries:

Comments RSS
Marykate on Friday, July 11, 2014 1:36 AM
I *love* her... what a great artistic representation of her!
Reply to comment

Myla Algorfa on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 3:58 AM
Hi I just wanted to say that I did enjoy reading your web site and to wish you the best of luck with it in the coming years - Myla Algorfa

fake handbags uk on Monday, March 28, 2016 7:39 AM
The ram is representative of the God Amun of the Egyptians, and the deer horns are representative of Celtic Gods of the Hunt.
Reply to comment

Penelope on Sunday, April 24, 2016 5:01 PM
Her crown bears both ram's horns and deer's horns. The ram is illustrative of the God Amun of the Egyptians, and the deer horns are illustrative of Celtic Gods of the Hunt, for example, Herne and Cernunnos. Thank you so much.
Reply to comment

COC-Resources on Tuesday, July 19, 2016 12:38 PM
Guide you explore satisfied and content competition: This tool may help you web search the other players easily, most people won’t should select Next any moreclash of clan hacks coc online hacking tool ?! There are actually A few solutions the exact scouting around: Fantastic, Elixir, Mysterious Elixir, Prize not to mention Highest possible Community Community hall. You should established perform properly loot, trophy and / or Township Region as anything you want! It will eradicate Whenever it discover an foe that may fill the whole set of disorders. Turn up your Come in contact with Each of the Circumstances approach when you wish your opponents supply all these kind of disorders. Start Seek out Change get going with the automobile doing research choice. When it is doesn’t deliver the results, please click Upcoming hand another young couples of the time this is appropriate! Help your town end up being constantly online (Routinely keep Productive): This feature could actually help your favorite commune are still internet and are not interupted due to any other players. Mean you can sand box panic attack other types of members (Sand box Approach): This feature is going to be incredibly terrific! Better help you to simulate an anxiety attack after you pay a visit to town. Work well on screening just before carry out a powerful Tribe showdown! Try not to garbage a great celeb!
Reply to comment

cheap fake rolex on Wednesday, November 02, 2016 2:18 AM
Her crown bears both ram’s horns and deer’s horns.
Reply to comment

Hockensmith on Monday, November 28, 2016 1:04 AM
essay Fourth, the writer should make an outline of the essay and use this outline to write a final essay paper. Keep the thesis statement at the end or very near the end of the introduction. Wildlife Conservation is the protection of all forms of life inhabiting the protected areas like national parks,wildlife sanctuaries.
Reply to comment

david on Wednesday, February 15, 2017 2:21 AM
What a great post is it. I appreciate the author's efforts to write the article which is very well written and informative. Keep doing the great work up. plumber Colorado springs
Reply to comment