Myth and Wonder - The Visionary Art of Helena Domenic

Water
World Tarot Day
Year Ahead Spread
powered by

My Blog

New Year's Intentions

We are already into the second week of 2015, and I have not set any New Year’s resolutions. Resolutions have come to seem like a very meaningless exercise to me as they are so often unfulfilled. Coming across a writing prompt called “New Year’s Intentions” seems much more likely to inspire me to try things out a new way. I can state an intent without feeling the same feeling of inevitable failure that making a resolution seems to bring me.

Last year, during the summer, I had every intention of keeping my blog going on a regular basis. I even came up with a schedule for what I would write each month. Somewhere along the way, I mislaid the schedule and other, seemingly more pressing matters began to get my attention. Recently, I began thinking back to a time in my life when I blogged daily, sometimes more than once, and wondered how on earth I ever found the time to do such a thing. At that time, blogging was much more of a personal exercise for me, detailing not only the details of my life, but details of painful personal growth that as I have grown older, I have been less willing to share with the World Wide Web.

Discretion is not a bad thing indeed, however my daily writing practice of course suffered as a result. As time went by, it simply became easier not to think about it at all, and to proudly announce to myself periodically, “I have a life! I don’t have time for this!”  It now occurs to me that having a life is precisely the reason I should be blogging. Not just to share the wonderful details of little ‘ole me with the world, but to bring the very perspective I have spent time and introspection honing to another audience. And yes, to get those writing chops back up to speed.

Setting an intention is not about delivering a “Must do or die” exercise to one’s self, but to create an atmosphere for one’s self in which that intention may be carried out. Words like “should” and “must” do seem to create a gloomy air of my old Catholic school guilt, and the afore-mentioned inevitable failure. With that in mind, I now set an intention for the New Year: To blog once a week, and to share this with you all, for better or worse. I shall see you here again soon!

9 Comments to New Year's Intentions:

Comments RSS
christian louboutin on Wednesday, November 02, 2016 2:17 AM
Reply to comment

Aashi on Sunday, August 13, 2017 4:45 PM
I have pleased to read about “New Year’s Intentions”! As a reader, I appreciate this types of reading with lots of information. Do you know about another writing prompt? If you need some suggestion about studying abroad just check out https://www.openeducationeuropa.eu/en/article/5-problems-and-solutions-students-face-while-studying-abroad now. You will get a lot of help through that post. Thanks and keep it up!
Reply to comment

https://www.aussiewritingreviews.com/ on Tuesday, May 22, 2018 6:24 AM
"New years intention" is an informative and motivational blog with a human touch to it, as its so being human to make new years resolutions and getting of track and coming back to them.
Reply to comment

Whale Watching in Cabo on Wednesday, June 20, 2018 8:58 AM
New year intentions a great blog, a great sense and I agree with your every single word. How realistic it is Whale Watching in Cabo. I think its very important to consider all while making new year resolutions.
Reply to comment

test on Wednesday, July 25, 2018 4:14 AM
test
Reply to comment

resurfacing quotes reno on Thursday, July 26, 2018 3:06 AM
One thing I would like to say that don’t make such resolutions which you are unable to fulfill. I am made a resolution to kick off my new journey in a new field of resurfacing quotes reno but I missed this one. It is so heartbreaking then.
Reply to comment

essayroo on Friday, July 27, 2018 2:44 PM
What are your previous post and what about these posts was?Would you please keep the updated posts here with this current posts?Many people are looking forward to catch your ideas and knowledge.
Reply to comment

http://www.mastersite.com/ on Monday, September 17, 2018 2:04 PM
This definitely interests me. I love reading topics like this. Keep sharing!
Reply to comment

$1 Hosting Godaddy on Saturday, October 13, 2018 2:37 AM
I found your blog via Google while searching for such kinda informative post and your post is very interesting. keep doing a great work...
Reply to comment